As New Zealand’s biggest dedicated automotive show, CRC Speedshow is constantly looking for new ways to bring excitement to motoring fans, and this year, the team is tackling a brand-new electric car build with the help of key suppliers to break a world record here in New Zealand.
Dubbed Project Craz-E-Horse, the 2007 Mustang GT will be going for an electric vehicle world record and is set to do the 1/4 mile at Meremere dragstrip in an estimated 7.54 seconds at 202.69 mph (326 km/h).
Built and managed by race experts Mitchell Race Xtreme, and supported by other New Zealand suppliers, this car aims to show off the new electric vehicle technology being developed around the world, while still being street legal so that it can be driven on a day-to-day basis. The car will be revealed at the CRC Speedshow, at the ASB Showgrounds in Auckland, on July 22 and 23.
Project Craz-E-Horse will have the latest and greatest battery technology with new brushless 8 phase DC electric motor technology producing up to 2,000 horsepower, and will be coming straight to New Zealand from USA where they have only just been launched.
Supported by electric vehicle legend John Metric (USA) and the USA National Electric Drag Racing Association (NEDRA), the project promises to be a serious contender for the world record. Metric himself has worked out the estimated performance specifications as above and has already had substantial input on the technology and set-up of the car.
CRC Speedshow managing director Ross Prevette said he’s looking forward to seeing the project evolve and believes the world can still have exciting, fast and loud racing with electric technology.
“This is an incredibly exciting project for us at CRC Speedshow. Electric technology is where the world is heading but has the unfortunate reputation of being quiet and boring. We want to change that and show just how awesome this technology can be.”
More information www.speedshow.co.nz
- Fifth generation Mustang body shell with custom MRX aero package
- Tubbed rear (no rear seats)
- 4130 Chromoly IHRA approved roll cage
- Custom rear sub-frame assembly with fully adjustable four-link rear suspension (Ridetech airbags for road use and quick swap Dynamic Suspensions DSSV shocks for drag racing)
- Custom front sub-frame assembly and motor mounts
- Ridetech airbag front suspension
- Front brakes - Brembo 378 x 32 rotors with six-piston calipers
- Rear brakes – Brembo 320 x 28 rotors with four-piston calipers
- Tilton pedal box and master cylinder
- Tilton bias adjuster
- Woodward steering column
- Sparco 353 steering wheel
- Electric power steering kit
- Electric power brake kit
- Motor – E.L.E. BLDC brushless eight-phase DC electric motor producing 1,400kW/1,355Nm flat line torque to 10,000rpm and flat line kW to 12,000rpm)
- Controller – Custom E.L.E. BLDC controller
- Batteries – 547.8V custom charge pack consisting of 252 lithium cobalt oxide sleeper cell battery modules
- Transmission – Direct drive
- Diff – Custom Ford nine-inch housing with Strange spool centre and 40 spline axles
- Other EV Parts – Controller Cooler, Main Contactor, DC-DC Converter, HAL Throttle Pedal
- Custom MRX alloy dash
- Motec dash unit with Motec PDM30 and Motec keypad
- Custom MRX alloy door cards
- Custom MRX alloy transmission tunnel cover
- Seats - Racetech RT4119W race seats
- Seat Belts – Racetech Pro 5 point
- Custom wiring loom
- Lighting – Standard Mustang GT front and rear
- Electric heater/blower with stock Mustang OEM dash vents
- Wheels and tyres:
- Road use: Front - Custom 20 x 9 wheels with 255/35-20 tyres/Rear - Custom 24 x 12 wheels with 315/35-24 tyres
- Drag use: Front - 15 x 3.5 Weld wheels with Mickey Thompson Front Runners/Rear - 15 x 14 Weld wheels with Mickey Thompson ET Radials